How to Choose Between Buying a New or Used Car
Pros and Cons of Buying a New Car vs a Used Car
When it’s time to buy a new car you might not necessarily want to literally buy a “new” car. Used cars have some valid selling points, too. Then again, they both have drawbacks. So which should you go for – a shiny brand new car that no one’s ever owned before, or a used car? Consider these pros and cons of buying a new car vs. used.
Benefits of Buying a New Car
- The Sheer Beauty Of It:Why buy new car vs used? There’s nothing like the look, feel and smell of a brand new car. When you buy new you have the chance to keep it looking that way for as long as possible.
- Assurance:New cars come with manufacturer’s warranties to cover any major issues. You have the assurance that the car and all its components will work as promised or you’ll be financially compensated.
- Fewer Repairs:Since all the parts on a new car are also new, you’ll have fewer repair bills. All you’ll need to cover is general maintenance like oil changes.
- Better Gas Mileage: New cars offer better gas mileage and are less detrimental to the environment overall.
- Options: When you buy a new car you have the opportunity to customize it with options like a sound system upgrade, leather seats, side window rain deflectors, window tinting and more. You can really make a new car to reflect your personality.
- Fancier Features: Many new cars come with the latest technology and fancy features like backup cameras, automatic parallel parking and more. These are some compelling benefits of buying new car vs used.
Cons of Buying a New Car
- More Expensive: You’ll always pay more for a brand new car than a comparable model that’s just a year old.
- Depreciation:You’ll experience faster depreciation with a new car than a used car. The second you drive it off the lot it starts to lose value.
- More Tax: Dealer taxes and government taxes on new cars can be pricey.
- More Expensive to Register and Insure: Is it worth buying a new car? You’ll start paying more for your new car when you register it and buy insurance, too.
- Fear of Scratching it: There’s an emotional con of buying a new car and that’s fear of getting that first scratch or dent.
- Pricier Parts: Since the car is new, you won’t find used parts when you do need to buy parts. You’ll always need to pay full price, and they’ll be higher because the car is new.
Pros of Buying a Used Car
Should I buy a new or used car? These will help you figure that out.
More Selection: You can find used cars for sale everywhere. Your choice of used cars is virtually unlimited.
Cheaper: Used cars have already depreciated from their new value. You can get a better used car for the same price based just on specs.
No Extra Taxes: If you buy from an individual you won’t pay anything above the selling price. Used car dealer taxes are still cheaper than new.
Possible Extended Warranty: You may be able to piggyback on the manufacturer’s original warrant with an extended warranty, depending on what year used car you buy.
Cons of Buying a Used Car
You Get What You Get: There are no assurances with a used car. You just have to trust who you’re buying it from.
No Guarantees: Is it better to buy a new or used car? You could literally buy a used car one day and have the transmission fail the next day. There are no guarantees when buying a used car.
Dents and Scratches: Your used car will probably have at least a few dents and scratches. You’ll always know it’s used.
Get Rid of Your Junk Car Today and Use the Extra Cash to Buy Yourself a “New” Car!
When is it time to buy a new car? Hopefully, these pros and cons of buying a new car have helped you decide, “should I buy a new car?” When you’re ready to get a new car, what should you do with your old one? Consider selling it to Junk Car Cash Out, a junk car buyer in Utah where you can get a fair value for your old, unwanted car. There are no hidden fees, we tow your car away for FREE, and you can’t be turned down by local junk car dealers in SLC. Contact Junk Car Cash Out today.